[ola] Re: ola Digest V2 #192

  • From: "Jody Soberon" <JodySo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Nancy Parsons-Brown" <nparsons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2013 08:36:38 -0700

Hi Nancy et al.

For Spanish 1, We spent the last week practicing what they have learned so far.
The day before, I used Nanosh's Design a Final for further review and then I
asked them to have a conversation with someone of their choice in front of the
panel. If they were stumped or timid, Panels were instructed to prompt and ask
questions and help if necessary so students would have ample air time and
practice. In my panel I prompted the speakers with questions when necessary,
and they took it from there.

For Spanish 2 They created first a comic strip story (also a Nanosh
production), I then had them embellish the story, add more verbs and more
adjectives and then rewrite the story. Students will present the story 4 times
to each panel. I will provide minimal feedback to help with errors, (they are
very comfortable at this point with any error corrections because language
production and comprehensibility is our focus and they know they aren't being
docked but rather supported to continue to move forward. Quite frankly,
students are welcoming the feedback as many recognize after the fact and they
get that aha! look and smile on their face. (Paycheck of the heart).

Oh, each student at this level has to make up their own questions and they get
to hear each other's questions. If someone in the group has the same question
as someone else, the group gets to brainstorm another question. In Span 1, this
time I pre-created some questions to keep things moving along.

Hope this gives you some ideas,

Jody

Foreign Languages
Brookings Harbor High School
>>> Nancy Parsons-Brown <nparsons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 10/31/2013 3:38 PM >>>
Hi Jody,

What a great idea. A few questions.

Do you have a prompt for the conversation or are you expecting them to have a
conversation based on what they have learned?

What does the response sheet that the panel fills out contain? Is it a rubric
based on proficiency? Is it a check list of topics?
Do you make up the questions for the panel to ask?

Nancy Parsons-Brown

French Teacher
Community School
Sun Valley, ID

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 11:05 PM, FreeLists Mailing List Manager
<ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

ola Digest Wed, 30 Oct 2013 Volume: 02 Issue: 192

In This Issue:
[ola] Re: Nanosh 1st year assessment and Oral panel question
[ola] Re: Nanosh 1st year assessment and Oral panel
[ola] Re: Nanosh 1st year assessment and Oral panel
[ola] Re: Nanosh 1st year assessment and Oral panel
[ola] great topic for discussion

Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 09:12:14 -0700
Subject: [ola] Re: Nanosh 1st year assessment and Oral panel questionnaire I de
From: Alisa Aguirre <alisa_aguirre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Jody. I love this idea. Being the visual learner I am though, could
you give me some more details?
1. How many kids do you have in your classes? (My 1st years are all 40+)
2. Can you give me more info on the logistics? What exactly happens when
I pair moves to a panel and what happens when they rotate to the next? How
do they shift to being a panel member?
3. How, when and where does the teacher assess them?

Thanks so much. I really want to try this. So hard to find ways to make
things like this work with huge classes (of mostly freshmen boys :p )

Alisa

------------------------------

From: JoAnna Coleman <joannac@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [ola] Re: Nanosh 1st year assessment and Oral panel
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 16:49:25 +0000

I did something similar today with my Spanish 2 kids - one student was the
teacher, one the student and the third was the evaluator with the scoring
rubric in their hands - they scored as they listened to the interview and then
gave feedback on each category - also a positive comment and any suggestions
for improvement
JoAnna Coleman
Spanish Teacher
Wilson High School
503-916-5280 ext. 75231 ( tel:503-916-5280%20ext.%2075231 )
joannac@xxxxxxx
http://profecoleman.wordpress.com/

________________________________

Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 10:48:04 -0700
From: "Jody Soberon" <JodySo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi JoAnna,

Oh I like this a lot, would you care to share your rubric that the students
used?

Thanks,

From: Nanosh Lucas <nanosh.lucas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [ola] great topic for discussion
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 15:26:22 -0700

Should teachers be able to cut in line in front of students in the cafeteria?

This is a good one.

Nanosh

End of ola Digest V2 #192