[ola] Re: brain research

  • From: Lisa Lucas <lisajones12@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 17:49:12 -0700

I realize I'm a bit late on the response on this one (brain research and
switching from L2 to L1), and I'm going out on a limb here, but I think it is
an amazing skill to be able to switch back and forth between languages, and may
be a fun skill to practice, even. I took a course on court interpretation a
couple of years ago, and what court (or any) interpreters do is very difficult,
a highly skilled practice, and requires HOURS of training. I think we should
point out to our students that switching between L2 and L1 is an important
skill to have in today's job market, but perhaps we are not taking time to
develop that skill in our classes. A lot of what our students do when they use
their Spanish out in the community is interpretation. I'm not arguing that we
speak L1 in class; I'm just suggesting that we might point this out.  I would
be interested in the research, but I wonder if there is any because there are
so many different aptitudes and scenarios out there.  I also hesitate to give
my students a number of minutes it might take to switch back to L2 because I
don't necessarily believe that's true for all.

Anywhoo... sorry to bog down your in boxes!

Lisa