[ola] Use those color sample cards from Home Depot for endless speaking activities

  • From: Ruth Whalen Crockett <rwhalen@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 22:48:24 +0000

Wow!  Jody,  this is awesome!  I love your tossing criteria.  Today I found
myself saying out loud to my colleagues, "As long as you're speaking Spanish
and building community, it's all good!"  There is a beauty in simplicity.  Yes,
I know there is more to teaching Spanish, but I also don't want to let too much
get in the way.

Here is a fun activity we practiced in preparation for kids.  Collect a bunch
of paint sample cards from your local hardware store.  Pass them out in the
circle.  Now begin to imagine all the conversation starters.

In pairs or small groups...
Five words to describe the color
A place you visited that is related to the color
A food you ate is summer
A movie, book or piece of art
Etc...

Then I separated the group in two.  One group was the shirt group, the other
the pants group. They had to match up with someone from the other group that
went with their color.  Then we voted on what pairs had the best fashion sense.

We also separated into cool and warm color groups and talked about feelings
related to the color group.  It was a great ice breaker to get to know each
other and it felt like the possibilities were endless.

One piece of advice, before passing out color samples cut off the names of the
colors, they can be distracting.

Here's to another great year!

Ruthie