[ola] Success and Feedback Request

  • From: Warren Billings <wbillings@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2015 10:14:24 -0500

Hey all,

I want to share this successful process I had this week. I'm also looking
for feedback on how to make it smoother!

Monday:

Share the "Choices Rubric" that are not part of a course competency, but
are ungraded 21st century skills. Students form random groups of three
(line up by height, count off by six), write a Choices SMART goal to make
better choices (ex. if I am good at staying in Spanish but am afraid to
talk a lot because I don't want to make mistakes then my Choices SMART goal
could be to make five mistakes each day this week.)

I like calling it Choices Rubric because it reinforces that everything we
do in class is a choice. I choose to speak Spanish, I decide to get to
class on time. It empowers us and validates our hard work!​
 Choices Rubric + SMART Goal
<https://docs.google.com/a/pittsfieldnhschools.org/document/d/1ySW77ZBiZTj9VQSktJHu2c3dxNTxP-kCNZa-gEOheD4/edit?usp=drive_web>
​
Learners then read their Choices SMART goals out loud to each other and
post their Choices SMART goals on the wall as a visual reminder. Saying
your goal out loud to another person is important, and it helps to make
them accountable for each other.

They also write a brief narrative about the choices they make as a learner.
'I'm good at getting to class on time, but I side talk in English.' etc.

In the same group they get a 'Performance Rubric', mark their expectation,
their target grade, and write a Performance SMART goal (all share one
Performance SMART goal) that is using a can do statement from ACTFL. (ex. I
will describe a family member using incomplete sentences). Each learner has
a the Can-Do document in a folder and checks off each statement as they
show evidence.​
 C100: Sp. I, II/NM, NH
<https://docs.google.com/a/pittsfieldnhschools.org/document/d/12FCOsr1QVTwmYTXmmUqLg7i_GvHwlYbCAdREYVucswQ/edit?usp=drive_web>
​​
 C100: Sp. II, III/NH, IL
<https://docs.google.com/a/pittsfieldnhschools.org/document/d/1eW2dDxUpAX3ly3eJWyRlws_E9ZHMEqMX7SDcnc4_4Gw/edit?usp=drive_web>
​
Friday:

We write the student-centered topics on the bottom of the Performance
SMART goal sheet. (ex. 1. Your house, 2. Warm weather activities, 3. Moment
of silence.) I let them take over here. We look at the vocab list and they
group them into topics. This way they have more control and they group the
topics as they see it. It doesn't matter how I would group it because it
wasn't me forming the connections to each word. I might see temperature as
a different topic than warm weather activities, but if the majority of the
class doesn't then that's how it is remembered and that's how it was
created in the L2 part of their brains!

Learners will also perform their Performance SMART goal in addition to at
least the majority of the student-centered topics. (Three out of five
topics plus one SMART goal.)

We then record our conversations in groups using phones, ipads, etc. Each
group has a mini whiteboard with marker to draw if they get stuck and need
help from each other.

After they record their conversations they write a transcript of their
speaking so they can say 'Oh, if I just said "es" here it would have been a
complete sentence', etc. They can record another video and turn in both if
they want to.

They also grade what they think they got for themselves, and then grade
each other in the rubric. They also write a short narrative for each team
member. 'You did great at this, work on this, etc.'

They also write a reflection narrative for their Choices SMART goal and
write a reflection narrative for each other's Choices SMART goal.

They love the interpersonal performance summatives. The individual speaking
summative is not as popular (but still important).

Ideas on how to make this smoother/better?

Thanks!
Warren

--
Warren Billings