[ola] Re: Student pushback and English use

  • From: Jonathan Irish <isolicious@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 09:52:57 -0800

I teach a group of sophomores that at times can break into English.  I was
worried about it yesterday because I gave them a good chunk of time to
practice their Spanish plays.  I was thinking that 30 minutes of "alone"
time would mean English, especially for one group.  At the start of class I
tried to be as up front as possible.  Why do we speak in Spanish, why are
we here?  We recited  la ke'ch:
*Tú eres mi otro yo.*
You are my other me.
*Si te hago daño a ti,*
If I do harm to you,
*Me hago daño a mi mismo.*
I do harm to myself.
*Si te amo y respeto,*
If I love and respect you,
*Me amo y respeto yo.*
I love and respect myself.
We do this a lot but it is important to review.  So class went well and
they maintained pretty good focus during the practice.  Students can handle
high standards, they just need to be reminded of it from time to time.
Suerte,  El Jota