[ola] Re: Primer and Tercer

  • From: Zach Haney <zachhaneyjobs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 21:53:23 -0400

Harrison,
I think the following (in Spanish) will assist you:
Apócope en Español
There are a lot of cases of this. The adjectives are just a lovely special
case.
Claro se puede buscar en inglés también....
Zach H.
Spanish/Latin Meridian Academy -- Brookline [Boston], MA

Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 18:36:27 -0700
Subject: [ola] Primer and Tercer
From: hlevinson@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To: ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

A student asked why the "o" is dropped from primero and tercero in front of
singular, masculine nouns. She hypothesized that those were the only two
ordinal numbers that end in -ro. But we know malo, bueno, alguno, ninguno, and
grande get similar treatment. So, adjectives that end in -lo, -no, -ro, and
grande? I cannot find an answer in my big, bad grammar book or online as of
yet. Any help from one of you, perchance?
Thank you.Harris
--
Harris Levinson
Teacher, Adviser