[ola] Re: OWL support articles

  • From: Warren Billings <wbillings@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 10:15:01 -0500

Hi Colin!

I'm not sure if my first email went through - I can't email the
presentation for some reason. Let me know if you want it and I will get it
to you.

I am in the tail end of my student push back time period and have some
things that I've stolen from others that help. I agree that community is
the number one way to combat push back. Also important is that they feel
like student voice is valued.

1. Have the students say hello/good morning to the people next to them at
the beginning
2. Say adiós inglés, hola español - makes it a smoother calmer transition.
3. Have a 5 minute debrief time at the end of class. Communicate to them
that this is a time in English to maintain student voice in an immersion
classroom. Document what people say on the projector with your computer to
show that it is valid work that is saved.
     3.1 Use protocols here: driving and restraining forces: what helped
you learn, what restrained your learning.
     3.2 Green light, yellow light = something that you are good at right
now, something you struggle with
     3.3 Connect, Extend, Challenge - Choose either something from today
that connects with your life, extends your thinking, or challenges your
thinking.
4. English Diario: Use google classroom or google docs to have kids write a
response to one or two provided prompts. Have this be for homework.
Students then "turn it in" or share with you so you can edit it and you
write directly on the document so it becomes a recorded conversation. You
can focus on the most needy kids this way. Kids that love it are
comfortable saying so because it is a private conversation. ​
 Diary Prompts
<https://docs.google.com/a/pittsfieldnhschools.org/folderview?id=0B2IaLgtjIsuTbWRBaFB2dXFrbTA&usp=drive_web>
​5. Have the kids say 'eres fantástico/magnífico/inteligente' to each other
after every speaking activity. Also saying gracias after every speaking
activity does wonders. Saying thank you to each other helped build my
community.
6. Have them form groups to switch it up. Would you rather live on the
beach or the mountains? Give four options. This makes the classroom look
like small group work which they are familiar with and feel like they can
hide better. Still enforce no inglés and if they do talk in English then
all done with group work.
7. Call parents to tell them when their kid did a positive thing. When they
help another or ask for help. Being extra polite. Admitting when they're
wrong. Things that build the community.
8. On an English day I presented a powerpoint that went well and I focused
on why we do the circle as our default.

--
Warren Billings
Spanish Teacher