[ola] Incredible photography and LOTS of possibilities

  • From: Jody Soberón <jodysoberon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ola <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 17:20:00 -0700

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2013/08/winners-of-the-red-bull-illume-photo-contest-2013/100583/

Lots of incredible, beautiful, unexpected photography with some pretty
amazing effects. There is so much to describe or say and so much vocabulary
to be teased out. From Span 1 dealing with colors and sports and me gusta,
etc. To an upper level class that can actually begin to describe the
nuances from a photographic perspective. LOTS of possibilities.

One idea: I sat 8 chairs facing the back wall and fairly spaced out so as
to fit 5 people around each chair (this was a 40 student class). I then had
the people in the chair close their eyes while I flashed the picture up.
They then had to use description and any vocab they could think of to
describe the photo while the person in the chair facing away from the scene
had to draw what was described. I had the students on the floor around them
writing vocab used. Group with most descriptions in 2 min winner.

Have fun! Oh, and let me know what ideas you came up with for using these
or other photos.

Jody