[ola] Re: Help with Spanish Level 1 and 2 Pre-assessment Q's

  • From: Darcy Rogers <rogersdr25@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 14:05:47 -0700 (PDT)

Hello all!

Attached is a sample (In English & Spanish) of an open ended Pre Assessment. It
covers very general themes, and you could change them to be whatever you
wanted.

Clearly for a Spanish I, it will be way over their head, but that's ok. The Pre
Assessment was during 'English Days' and they would write down as much as they
could, in whatever category they recognized. Students wrote whatever they had
learned in that first week: most often words like jump, girl/boy, How are you?
Whats your name? happy, dog, etc. showed up (& completely butchered, remember,
they have written very little, if at all yet.) It was actually neat for them to
see what they had already learned, and for the teacher to see what they had
taken away from that first week. It served as a great jumping off point for
topics and where to go next. It also provides an amazing reference point for
growth for their Semester assessments!! ('I used to write dog like that!'! or
'I used to say I have happy!' or 'I can write phrases now instead of just
listing!' ;)

For Spanish II, it gives you a beginning mark of where they are, since you
don't know what topics might have come up in their first year. There are
several options, so it allows them to choose what they want to talk about, and
it gave me a really good idea of their level of language, since there are 4
open-ended opportunities and a questioning one. If you know some of the topics
that had come up in first year, you could include those!

The semester and end of the year assessments included some of these topics, but
were also based off of the topics and information that had come up in class.
For example, the Olympics and the elections were big topics from last year, so
those were on the semester assessment. This year, for example, Syria and any
other school related topics that had come up could be included. The end of the
year assessment is a combination of topics from the second half of the year,
beginning of the year, and the original questions. Remember also, that you are
wanting to make the second language used accessible and at the appropriate
level.

It does not matter what topics they are talking about, so long as you are
allowing lots of opportunities for open-ended writing and speaking. You want as
much of a sample as possible.

The interesting thing about this format is that it allows some choice by
students as to what they want to write and talk about. It's not on the paper,
but on the oral interview, I also left it open at the end so that students
could ask any questions they might want to that weren't offered on the
assessment. Some didn't have any, and some got very creative!

If anyone else has better/other questions, or has a way they are finding
open-ended ways to assess students, please share!!! Keep rocking it!!

Darcy Rogers
Organic World Language (OWL)

Phone: 541.601.4509
Fax: 541.776.4099
Website: olaed.com
Facebook: tinyurl.com/organic-language-facebook