[ola] Re: Grading questions - Proficiency & Performance

  • From: "Cathy Bird" <cathy.bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 08:28:12 -0700 (MST)

I found Arnold's post in the ListServe...and think it is a very calming
piece of thought. I would love to hear someone say "I give grades for
this, quizzes are like this, and this" but until then, Arnold's thoughtful
reflections on Performance and Proficiency gives me insight, and calm.
Merci, Cathy

-------- Arnold, from Spring 2013 ------

Good Day to all,

I have spoken with Caleb about a recent exchange and he asked me to
respond
publicly. One of the conversations I have been following is the debate
about
grading. I know schools are pressuring grades based on "proficiency" but,
unfortunately, it often seems that their wishes for "proficiency grading"
runs counter to their insistence on sticking to traditional grading
practices. This is an issue that will eventually be resolved, once
"proficiency" is better understood, or at least has a common definition.

This leads me to the discussion of proficiency and performance. One
problem
I have encountered in proficiency-grading (specifically in foreign
languages
as other subjects are not my focus) is that administrators are asking for
"proficiency grade" every few weeks. With all due respect, there is a
disconnect with this thinking. It's like proclaiming who finished where in
the Indianapolis 500 after 150 miles. "The race isn't finished yet but I
want you you to tell me who finished where." If we know (and we do) that
it
takes time-on-task to reach a proficiency, assigning a proficiency grade
at
a quarter or a trimester is a mis-use of the term.

As Caleb mentioned, he has been trained to recognize patterns and identify
levels of proficiency. But in the classroom we are not seeing proficiency.
We are seeing performance. Performance is an indication of how one might
do
in a proficiency assessment but it is not proficiency. Recognizing a level
(i.e. "that was a good response at Intermediate level") in a classroom
topic, where the student is being supported by others students, a teacher,
words on the board, a topic that has been developed and has been practiced
is a sign of "performance." In order to ascertain "proficiency" that
student
would need to be subjected to a number of level checks and probes over a
variety of level-appropriate topics to determine if the level could be
sustained. Proficiency is not concerned with which topics have been
studied
or in what context a person learned a language. It is a wide-open
assessment
of ones ability to sustain a level. Sustain is the key word. One good
sentence at-level is cool, it is an indication of performance. But
assessing
proficiency requires me to  follow up with a series of questions on that
topic to see if that level can be sustained. Then that process is repeated
on another topic, then probes to find the level of unsustained language
are
required, all to determine the level of proficiency. It is a process that
requires a specific protocol and structure. If it is not followed, you do
not prove a level of proficiency. So most of what we see in a classroom is
performance. Again, that performance MIGHT be an indication of their level
of proficiency, and often is, but accurately getting the sub level
requires
a full-on assessment that is a proficiency assessment.

Going back to grading ­ What I have just addressed is why proficiency
grading every few weeks is not possible. If the goal is IL for the end of
the year, how can you assign a grade based on her proficiency? Is she
there
yet? After 6 weeks of class? Of course not. It takes time-on-task. So you
are not grading based on proficiency, you are grading based on
demonstrated
performance. (BTW, that requires rubrics)  After 6 weeks saying "I think
Sara is an Intermediate" might be better stated as "Sara is showing
indications of performing at the Intermediate level in these areas: asking
questions, communicating in complete sentences, creating with the language
to give personal meaning, and in these tasks: A,B,C"

I know I have ruffled some feathers in this group. So be it. I am
outspoken.
Don't expect any changes soon. I do have a great deal of respect for the
OLA
group and for the enthusiasm and energy and dedication to teaching and
learning. The community you built is amazing. Darcy continues to amaze me
with her efforts to bring about changes in how people teach and learn
languages. Learning languages takes time. Learning how to teach
effectively
is an art that develops over years and years. Don't give up. Give
yourselves
and your students permission to succeed and to fail on occasion. This is
how
we grow.

The grading issue is a hassle and a distraction. My experience tells me
that
administrators (coming from the national level) will morph the whole
proficiency grading movement into something totally different in the next
few years. And they won't consult you about it. And if they do, they won't
understand why you can't be more like math. So be patient and don't be
distracted by all that noise. Stay focused on what you are striving to do.
Smile, nod your head, do the best you can with what they give you, and
stay
focused on teaching languages to kids. Anyway, that is my opinion.

Have a great summer.

Arnold
Cathy Bird
Middle School French