[ola] ESL class help

  • From: Andrew Van Wagenen <andrewvanwagenen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2013 00:14:31 -0600

On Friday, my school discovered that it had enough students qualifying for
an ESL class that they legal have to offer an ESL section now. So, now I
will be taking on a 7th prep period and teaching ESL. There are only 6 or 7
kids in the class ranging from no english language level to intermediate
language level. The intermediate level students need more help with their
reading and writing and the tougher academic subjects of school to get
ready for college.

Has anyone used the OWL approach for teaching ESL? Is there a specific
curriculum that you find is helpful? Are their any resources that someone
can recommend? Suggestions on how to structure the class?

I'm basically starting with nothing and the first class is Monday
(tomorrow). Thanks for all your many wonderful and amazing contributions.

Cheers,

Drew

--
*Andrew Van Wagenen