[ola] Convo Topic - Isla Abandonada

  • From: Tess Siemer <tess.siemer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 15:44:27 -0700

Hi guys-
  I was running out of convo topic ideas (we did recent news, prom,
upcoming summer plans, graduation, etc.) and the students were burning
out.  Today we did the attached convo (roughly taken from remembering this
http://dsa.csupomona.edu/osl/studentmanual/files/Lost_At_Sea_327.pdf).  It
was great - good discussion, high engagement and lots of laughter.

1) They journaled about the topic individually focusing especially on
justifying their decisions
2) They joined another student and debated their ideas until they came to
consensus
3) They shared their decisions and justifications with the class

Hope it sparks something for you... :) Tess