[ola] Re: Bell ringers/warm ups

  • From: Kate FriendlyJones <kate.friendlyjones@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 15:54:04 -0700

Hi Drew,

Just as you feel you may have exhausted your ideas something will trigger a
new idea that could result in a couple week long thread of activities.  For
example a student will come in with a story of something that happened to
them, o something will happen in your life, or a something in the news will
strike your attention.  If that doesn't work there are always poems, art,
music that I like to draw from to start conversation.

To answer your question I was thinking that you could have a task for them
to do that is oral!  I have never done this but it is a great idea to
trigger students to use the second language as soon as they walk through
the door.  It could be; "find out something you don't know about a person
in the class", or "discuss your last class (in the 2nd language of
course)", or "Tell someone about your favorite birthday and describe it",
or explain or present your homework to a partner.

Does that seem like it would work?

Kate