[ola] Re: 1st and 2nd year -

  • From: Amanda Miller <AMiller@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 17:31:06 +0000

When I think about the novice level, I associate it with “me, me, me”. As the
students move into the intermediate, it’s my understanding that they begin to
talk more outside of themselves and the immediate “here and now”. So it seems
perfectly developmentally appropriate for the novice level speakers to be
talking about themselves! It’s what is most important to them, anyway. I’ve had
some success with providing my students with connector words (with, because,
in, at…) so that their descriptions of activities can become more rich, “On
Saturday, I watched Skyfall at my house with my brother”, versus “I watched
Skyfall”. I’ve coached them through questioning to use these words and gesture
towards the board with the written connectors. I just collected a
presentational communication assessment, and many students are also using these
words in their writing! Back to other pronouns- as they bring up topics like
their brother, you can probe about their brother “Did he like Skyfall? What
does he like” etc. I have found that as they become more comfortable with
speaking more, they have begun to speak about their friends, families, and
characters from tv/movies. Another thing that is always fun- have the students
discuss polarizing topics- Do you like Honey Boo-Boo? What’s Miley Cyrus’
problem?

I hope this random collection of my experiences is helpful!

-Amanda

Amanda Miller
Division 1.3 Spanish Teacher
The Francis W. Parker Charter Essential School &
Sizer Teachers Center
Devens, Massachusetts
AMiller@xxxxxxxxxx