[obol] westside Red-breasted Sapsuckers

  • From: Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2015 23:35:19 -0700

Along the immediate coast I have only found them to be rather rare in migration
and winter.

In the Willamette Valley and on Sauvie's Island they are uncommon at all
seasons, except when there is an unusual cold event in winter. At such times
they even come into my urban neighborhood and at nearby Laurelhurst Park. I
have seen then become numerous at Mt. Tabor during such events, only to vanish
after the weather broke. (During one such event I saw a Williamson's Sapsucker
there as well - I think John Powell found it first. it too left as soon as
the weather warmed.) I think they came from lower and middle elevations on
the western slope of the Cascades.

It is the western slope of the Cascades where I have found them to be most
common.

I agree with those who have remarks about how much they seem to favor fruit
trees and some other deciduous non-natives.

Jeff Gilligan