[obol] Red-br. Sapsucker west side notes

  • From: Floyd Schrock <fschrock@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOLINKS <OBOL@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2015 23:09:30 -0700

I lived in Lincoln Co. from 1980 to 1986 a little farther from the actual
coast than Darrel Faxon's place. I lived near Logsden (east of Siletz)
along the Siletz River. Bob Llewelyn might still be living and birding in
that area, and perhaps could comment.

During those years I sent monthly reports to Range Bayer who compiled them
in the Journal of Oregon Ornithology which was published in March 1994.

Looking at that record I see that I recorded Red-breasted Sapsucker only
three times in 1982 (Oct., Nov., Dec); six times in 1983 (Feb., May.,
June., Oct., Nov., Dec.); three times in 1984 (June, twice in Dec.); twice
in 1985 (April, Sept.).

For comparison, I recorded Downy and Hairy and Pileated Woodpeckers and
Flickers almost every month during those years.

Bob Llewelyn's reports are also included in the same JOO, and he reported
even fewer Sapsuckers than I did. Bayer did include a comment from Bob that
a Sapsucker "bored holes in a maple tree near [his] house" in March, 1987.

Finding a Sapsucker out there was always a bit special.

Floyd Schrock

Floyd Schrock
McMinnville, Oregon USA
http://empids.blogspot.com