[obol] videos of Western Bluebirds feeding chicks

  • From: Stephanie Hazen <stephaniehazen17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2014 09:11:57 -0700

https://picasaweb.google.com/101700670573128910486/WesternBluebirdsFeedingMealworms?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCJDO_tP1x9HxRQ&feat=directlink

Click on above link to see our male Western Bluebird feeding one of his chicks.

Six eggs were laid on April 14.  The birds hatched April 29.  They fledged 3
chicks May 21.  We feed dried mealworms on the back deck, and observe the male
feeding the chicks.  The female immediately began making a nest in a new box in
the back yard.  We witnessed her mating with a brighter blue male bird, not the
male that is caring for the chicks.  The female rarely feeds the chicks, while
the male is in a frenzy feeding chicks.

The chicks finally ate on their own, this morning, although the male is
certainly still feeding them.

Stephanie Hazen
Ray Temple
Salem