[obol] Re: vesper sparrows

  • From: Joel Geier <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2015 19:36:19 -0800

Hi Tim & All,

We had a photographed Vesper Sparrow near Philomath in the last week or
so, which (from first impressions) appeared to me to be from one of the
more eastern subspecies, rather than the endemic (and dangerously
declining) nesting species here in the Willamette Valley.

We have also had a few CBC records. So while it seems possible that
there could be some vagrant Vesper Sparrows showing up, they should be
considered as rare birds, and documented accordingly, preferably with
photos.

Beyond the "county-month records" records angle, there could be some
conservation significance if it turns out that birds from our endemic
nesting subspecies (which normally winters in the Sacramento Valley) are
starting to stay farther north in winter.

Happy birding,
Joel

--
Joel Geier