[obol] unusual Junco-- Mt.Tabor, Portland

  • From: Jason Wolf <wolfjason71@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2014 11:43:30 -0700

This morning I heard an unusual song at the top of Mt. Tabor. I found the
bird singing from the very top of a conifer looking SE from the top. It
sang for more than 10 minutes, repeating the song. It was back lit and I
couldn't make out much in the way of plumage, but it was the size and shape
of a Junco.

However, it was not singing a typical "Oregon" Junco song. It had a trill
of the same cadence as an Oregon Junco, but was less metallic and more
warbler-like, then it ended with an upslurred two-note phrase, again
somewhat warbler-like.

I found a song that matched on the app I have (iBird Pro) for Slate-colored
Junco, except the upslurred note at the end was not part of the recording.

Sibley's description for Gray-headed Junco matches well: " Song and calls
identical to Oregon Juncos but a few sing complex song:
tu-tu-tu-tu-tu-tu-zeeeeeee-tip." This sounds right but it is not a
recording so I can't be sure.

Has anyone else heard this song from an Oregon Junco? I've never heard it
before and I've also never seen a Junco singing from the very top of a
conifer, sitting in one place, and repeating a song for 10+ minutes. My bet
is it is one of the more unusual races of Junco, especially unusual to be
singing here in June.

I hope someone else hears this bird and maybe gets a better look at it.

Jason Wolf