[obol] to the Shorebird Festival

  • From: "Paul T. Sullivan" <paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 21:47:11 -0700

Folks,

We headed down to the Oregon Shorebird Festival in Charleston this weekend.

On Thursday we found a MARBLED GODWIT among some Whimbrels on the beach at the Governor Patterson wayside south of Waldport. At Pt. Adams in Charleston we found 1 Heermann's Gull, but no Elegant Terns.

On Friday we scouted Coos Bay. We saw 1 HARLEQUIN DUCK off Simpson Reef, 150 BROWN PELICANS on the north jetty of Coos Bay, and finally --- finally, our first BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS of the year at Millicoma Marsh.

Our Saturday field trip around Coos Bay enjoyed a nice interview with WRENTITS at Cape Arago, a couple HARLEQUIN DUCKS, many GREAT EGRETS, but almost no shorebirds. We saw a distant flight of peeps at Pony Slough and 2 WANDERING TATTLERS at the south jetty of Coos Bay. We ended the day watching PIGEON GUILLEMOTS deliver fish to their nest holes in the cliff immediately east of the south jetty -- a crowd pleaser.

Our Sunday field trip to Bandon found 3 RUDDY TURNSTONES on a tidal flat down river from Bullard's Beach St. Pk. At Bullard's Beach park we had another interview with WRENTITS. A RED-SHOULDERED HAWK was across the river . On the rails behind the Port of Bandon office we found many BLACK TURNSTONES, a couple SURFBIRDS, and a WANDERING TATTLER.

At the end of the day we joined the Heyerlys to view the ELEGANT TERNS on the pilings of the old Sitkum dock.

Good birding, everyone,

Paul Sullivan & Carol Karlen
McMinnville