[obol] Elegant Terns at mouth of Umpqua River

  • From: "Paul T. Sullivan" <paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 22:03:04 -0700

Folks,

On our way home from Coos Bay we stopped at Winchester Bay and walked out to the triangular jetty on the south side of the mouth of the Umpqua River. There is an oyster farm inside the triangle. Many large rubber floats provide roosting places for birds.

We found:
10 ELEGANT TERNS
70 Double-crested Cormorants
90 Heermann's Gulls
30-40 Western and California Gulls.
  3 Red-breasted Mergansers

50 Common Murres on the ocean
40 Brown Pelicans on the north jetty
  1 Wrentit near the campground at Winchester Bay

Matt Hunter has some photos of the terns on the floats taken Aug 11 on his Flickr page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthewghunter/sets/72157635036220866/

Good birding, everyone,

Paul Sullivan & Carol Karlen
McMinnville