[obol] testing an hypothesis #1

  • From: "Paul Sullivan" <paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 20:45:01 -0700

To test whether the irruption of Black-vented shearwaters was a) a
once-in-a-lifetime event or b) the new normal, I went to Boiler Bay this
morning from 7:40 - 9:40 to do a seawatch. I didn't have the professional
kit that Phil Pickering uses, just the home kit, so my results were limited
by that.

I had fog early, then clearing, but a little more fog about 8:40, then
clearing again. The surf was turbulent on the rocks as the tide came in.

I found:

12 Pacific Loon

16 Western Grebe

65 Brown Pelican

20 Pelagic Cormorant

6 Brandt's Cormorant

3 D-c Cormorant

150 Sooty Shearwater

180 Surf Scoter

6 White-winged Scoter

1 Black Oystercatcher (immature - attn.. Linda Fink

17 Heermann's Gull

100 Western Gull

400 Common Murre

3 Marbled Murrelet