[obol] Re: strange male red-winged Blackbird

  • From: "Wayne Hoffman" <whoffman@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <shawneenfinnegan@xxxxxxxxx>, <stevernord@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 19:50:57 -0700

Hi -

I have seen photos of several Red-winged Blackbirds that had
other-than-black bodies.  The patterns were remarkably consistent and
oriole-like, with black heads, pale bodies, black in wings,  white in tails.
Makes me think that these blackbirds evolved from an oriole-like ancestor,
by acquiring genes for overall black body and tail, and these individuals
have mutations that block this black overlay on the ancestral pattern.

Wayne