[obol] Re: strange male red-winged Blackbird

  • From: Shawneen Finnegan <shawneenfinnegan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: atowhee@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 12:15:54 -0700

Harry,

This is a bizarre and fun bird indeed. The underparts look more mottled like
there is a lack of pigment issue, rather than molt.

Is the color true on the belly? Those patches look tinged yellowish-orange.
Plus on the first photo where the wing is spread it appears the inner web of
one or more of the primaries is whitish.  Then there are those white markings
at the base of the primaries which are strange.

Shawneen Finnegan
Portland, OR