[obol] Re: sea watch and Great White Shark

  • From: Bob Archer <rabican1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 14:42:02 -0700

Actually there has been evidence of a Great White off that part of north coast
for past month or so (bite marks on dead seals). I watched a group of sea lions
in absolute panic mode off the jetty a few weeks ago. Figured something was
under them.

Bob Archer
Pdx

On Oct 16, 2015, at 1:58 PM, Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In my third hour of a sea watch from North Head this morning (Washington side
of the Columbia River) a huge shark broke the water where I and happened to
be looking. It went straight up, and did about a half twist fully int eh air
before crashing and not being seen gain. I didn't see that it had caught its
intended prey. I have seen hundreds of sharks in various parts of the world.
No Oregon shark (except Basking Shark) would approach the size of this
beast. It was the right shape for a Great White.

The coastal migration has picked up from a few days ago. Large flocks of
Surf Scoters, some accompanied by a few White-winged Scoter, Greater Scaup,
American Wigeon and Green-winged Teal. Heerrman's Gulls were flocking by to
the south. The loon migration is still quite slight.