[obol] (no subject)

  • From: Joel Geier <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 21:10:33 -0700

Alan Contreras wrote:

So if the data collection function has become nominal, why not
have more counts
in more focused places using other protocols? Or even the same
protocol in,
say, a 7.5 mile circle wherever we care to put one?'

I agree, the relatively modern possibilities for data collection (which
date back to 1998 when BirdNotes came on line) open up the possibility
of similarly structured counts at other times of the year, and not just
when Geoff LeBaron has time to deal with the outcome.

Whether BirdNotes or eBird is used as the framework for data gathering,
the key thing in my view is to have a transparent method for
amalgamating and vetting the data. The CBC provides a good example of
how this can be done. For the more long-lived counts in particular, it
seems like people with the right skills tend to rise to the right level
of the review process (I won't make any such claims for the two counts
that I'm responsible for, though I do think we're producing valuable
data for areas that were otherwise poorly covered, so I'm not going to
apologize for taking the initiative).

The other important thing is a commitment for repeatability. A one-off
count doesn't serve much purpose. A new count in say, February, could be
useful if there's a commitment to keep it going at least every other
year for a decade.

But the big question in my mind -- along the same lines that Paul raised
-- is whether there will be a pot of chili at the end of the day.

Happy counting,
Joel

--
Joel Geier