[obol]

  • From: Lee Cain <lcain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Listserve <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2013 14:06:06 -0800

I missed the Lower Columbia Birders trip today, but got out on my own to
pick up a few more birds on the new year.  I managed 73 species, mostly
from the truck, and the details are archived at Birdnotes.net.
Highlights were:
Wireless Rd: about 13 GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE, the 2 TRUMPETER
SWANS, now with 3 TUNDRA SWANS; a lone EURASIAN WIGEON was in the
wigeon flock in the pasture, where there were 3 the other day. Five
BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER were with this flock also. And the EURASIAN TEAL
was near the horse barns, as was the very bright RED-SHOULDERED HAWK.

Ft Stevens/ South Jetty/Trestle Bay:  Only one SNOWY OWL could be
seen, east of the parking lot, back in the pine valley.   On the river
beach by the jetty, a dead California sea lion was providing a feast
for about 7 COMMON RAVENS , but the most interesting part was the two
VERY tame SANDERLINGS that were feeding on the associated arthropod
scavengers, about 3 ft. from my boot when I walked up to it. A
ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK was hunting along the jetty road by Trestle Bay.

The Hammond river viewing area yielded an unseasonal HEERMAN'S GULL,
and a RED-NECKED GREBE was in the boat basin.

Airport Road's best birds were PEREGRINE FALCON and WESTERN
MEADOWLARK.  The rancher who grazes cattle in that area reports an
AMERICAN BITTERN two nights ago.

And a LATE REPORT:  While running on the airport dike last night near
sundown I saw a SHORT-EARED OWL, close to the Warrenton shopping area.

Birder Greg (met him at the South Jetty) had been at the Hooded
Warbler site that morning with no luck -- perhaps we will hear better
news from Mike's post later today.

--
Lee Cain
Astoria