[obol] nighthawks; misc.

  • From: Bobbett Pierce <ensatina3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2014 13:40:20 -0400

I have heard COMMON NIGHTHAWKS a couple of times this week, on Thursday and
again today -- both in late morning with overcast skies. One was while in
Scappoose and the other from my home in Warren, a few miles farther north. Also
getting a bunch of juveniles in the yard: most notable was an evening grosbeak
and a family of wood duck ducklings. Momma couldn't get through the chainlink
fence so they didn't stay long. I feel guilty about those ducks, since they had
to go out of their way to get here through fields and away from water. I am
guessing that they heard my trickling birdbath, which birds use a lot.
Yesterday it lured in a western tanager. I hope that family makes it to
Scappoose Bay via Warren Creek OK. The nearest ponds are tiny, tiny things.
Lona Pierce, Columbia County