[obol] a few Coos Birds 6/14/2014

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2014 12:02:52 -0700

Took a brief trip out to the north spit of Coos Bay early AM.  Out on the
old aeration pond there I saw two male BLUE-WINGED TEAL.  Hard to say if
they are migrants or potential breeders, as migrants are not unusual this
time of year. The only Coos breeding records are from this site- there are
five now.  Also still there was a likely oversummering nonbreeding
BUFFLEHEAD, practically annual at that site.  Saw four different female
GADWALL with broods too.

I forgot to mention that while working at Floras Lake, Curry earlier this
week there was a big movement of heavily mottled CA GULLS all day, probably
over a thousand by the end of the day.  I have seen this in past years in
early and mid-June also. They come up from the south and funnel around the
lake with a steady stream moving north at the boat ramp which was
practically non-stop all day.  These are some really ratty looking gulls.

ENJOY!
Tim R
Coos Bay