[obol] nano-rba: Pygmy owl in Mt Tabor Park

  • From: Tom McNamara <tmcmac67@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, portland-area-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2015 12:03:47 -0700

Hi all,

I just returned from the park where Will and Jan Risser and I saw a
serenely perched N. Pygmy Owl as s/he was being mobbed by kinglets,
chickdees and nuthatches.
For This Park, this species is indeed rare. I've detected precisely one
other individual a number of years ago, also in the fall.
Who knows how long it will remain on this perch but if som local quite
familiar and intent on adding to his/her park list beat feet up there this
map (hopefully) shows the location:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?hl=en&authuser=0&mid=zzSH8P8BzP0c.kBjFFeyS5rhw

It was probably 30-40 feet up and perched 12 feet from the trunk.

good birding,
Tom