[obol] mystery hawk at Tillamook yesterday

  • From: William Risser <wlrisser@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 13:43:08 -0800

I mentioned in a post yesterday that Jan and I saw a pale hawk sitting in
the grass near Tillamook. To ID the hawk, I did a lot of research today, and
It's clear to me that the hawk with the white head and lots of white on the
back was a juvenile pale-phase Harlan's. Some of what I studied was
information on Harlan's sent to me last winter by Tom Crabtree.
Jan took some pictures, but the hawk was far away, and only very briefly
showed us its underwing and tail. We only saw its back and head in detail, in
our scope.
In the process of my research, I read in an article by Jerry Ligouri, a
hawk expert, that no records exist for Krider's red-tails west of the Rockies.
The only ID contender for this hawk was a Krider's. I don't know if no
Krider's in Oregon is still true, but clearly Harlan's is much more likely.

Will Risser, Portland