[obol] major crane movement

  • From: Bobbett Pierce <ensatina3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2015 21:49:28 -0400

I have never seen so many SANDHILL CRANES flying -- for more than an hour
chains of them were flying southeast in the distance as I was walking on the
CrownZ trail near Scappoose. We arrived at the trail at 5 p.m. this evening,
and I noticed a few cranes flying up from the dry marsh area. While looking at
them I spotted far off cranes -- high up and in long loose chains as far as I
could see. We were there for a solid hour and they continued the entire time --
how many? 10,000? 20,000? One chain had a good thousand and there were
continuous chains spread out on the horizon. I was surprised when unseen
hundreds of cranes rose up close -- and headed toward the cranes that looked
they were going a long way. I didn't know so many flew past here -- I wouldn't
have been able to see many of them without my 10 power binocs. I could hear
cranes near and far. As we were leaving after 6 p.m. I scanned the sky and
there continued to be cranes flying past. Truly amazing. I hope there is water
where they are going.
Lona Pierce, Columbia County