[obol] finch followed by field guide

  • From: Tom McNamara <tmcmac67@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 08:09:46 -0700

Jim,
Forgot to mention in that last post that, if you don't already have them,
you might strongly consider getting "the" best field guide.

To explain:  there have been periodic opinions here on what is "the" best
field guide.  And I believe most experienced folks come down for either
National Geographic or Big Sibley. When I'm occasionally asked (on birdsong
walks or whatever) which is better  I basically  say  "neither". Not
because I would at all diss either. Rather, it's the two In Conjunction
that, to me, make the best overall field guide. Nat Geo has great
subspecies, text, the most up to date range maps (6th edition) etc. but
Sibley  is Far better when it comes to illustrations of juveniles,
immatures, birds in flight different morphs etc.
My advice is don't choose. Get 'em both and you have a two-volume best
field guide.
Tom