[obol] Re: ebird aggregate data and smart phones

  • From: Brandon Wagner <bmwboarder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Priscilla Sokolowski <priscillanhk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 21:31:11 -0700

Hi Priscilla,

I'm sorry, I certainly didn't state that very clearly.  By play around with
it, I mean pick an individual bird on the IBA bar chart page, click on the
map button next to the bird species, and then look at all the pins on the
map to see all the checklists that go into the bar chart for that specific
bird.  On many of the maps, there are birds reported using personal
locations, and these get included in the aggregate data for the
geographical area of the IBA.  And sometimes, the bird may not have been
seen in a "hotspot".  For example, if you pull up bar charts for all 8
Ankeny NWR hotspots combined, there are 218 birds, but if you use the bar
chart for the IBA for Ankeny NWR, that list has 223 birds.  In this case,
an Emperor Goose has been seen using a personal location, but was not
reported in any of the hotspots.  In theory, the IBA bar charts will be
more complete.

I hope this helps.

Brandon Wagner