[obol] another pulse of Black-vented Shearwaters heading toward Oregon

  • From: Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 19:16:32 -0700

from: NW CAL

(Humboldt Bay jetty)

Hey
Birders,
This
morning I birded the north jetty from ~1100-1300 and noted
many hundreds of BLACK-VENTED SHEARWATERS again streaming
north up the coast. Most were on direct northward
trajectories in groups of 10-100 with relatively few
foraging, until ~1230 when a massive raft of 800-1000 birds
began to form quite distantly offshore. Interesting to see
these birds pushing north again after their apparent
turnaround in southern Oregon a week ago. I wasn't
able to pick out anything else of note amongst the wayward
BVSH parade.
Good
birding,
Lizzie