[obol] Deschutes County, Fw: [COBOL] The Red - throated Pipit at Wickiup

  • From: "judy" <jmeredit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 20:26:53 -0700

Wow, Craig Miller did it again! Bird was still there at six pm.

More specific directions now, after having been there. NOT way out on the
flats like the other pipit that Craig found years ago, the first state
record! Probably walking only 1/2 to 1 mile to get to it, at most.

Go to the dam at Wickiup. Park next to the dam in the lot with the kiosks.
Walk up the pathway up to the top of the dam. Stand there and look out
toward the flats. You will see a line of willows in the near distance. Those
willows to the left are lined along a series of drying ponds, some mud, and
a trickle of water here and there, like a "swale". The bird was at varying
places down along there in the muddy areas. It was NOT with a flock of
American Pipits, but was alone most of the time except for an occasional
sparrow or Robin in the area. So to get to those willows, walk a few feet
north on the dam to access the old crushed rock road and walk toward the
willows. When you reach the ponds on both sides of the road at the willows,
look carefully around the edges. The bird was always to the south when we
saw it today, between 3 and 6 pm. If you don't see it from that road, walk
left along the far edge of those ponds where it is flat and soil is fairly
firm. You are walking parallel to the dam, toward the control tower for the
outlet, sort of south. Walk close enough to see down into the muddy areas
but not so close that you flush it. Stay on top section. Keep stopping and
watching for movement.

The bird disappeared quite often today, flew close to the ground usually and
wasn't always easy to relocate immediately. One time Tom Lawler saw it fly
into thick dried grass but it soon came back to the muddy area. Sometimes it
called when it flew. It favored the edges where there is mud and scant
vegetation, occasionally perching up on a stump or bunch of upended roots.

Wickiup Reservoir 43.696297, -121.707794 is the location where it was
repeatedly seen going back and forth along that string of drying ponds.
Tom Lawler and Don Sutherland got good photos. I know of six of us who were
out there today and saw the bird despite oncoming rain and stormy weather.
Hope it stays for those who try tomorrow.

Sorry I didn't make a call to everyone today, I wanted to get into my car
and get there and I can't call and drive. Thanks to Craig for getting the
word out promptly.

Good birding, Judy, jmeredit@xxxxxxxxxxx