[obol] Yellow-shafted Flicker status in Willamette Valley

  • From: Joel Geier <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 10:14:33 -0800

Hi Linda & all,

Taking E.E. Wilson Wildlife Area as a representative sample which
supports very substantial numbers each winter:

My estimate is that about 1 out of 50 Northern Flickers that we see each
winter is a reasonably "pure" Yellow-shafted Flicker, while at least
another 4 or 5 are Yellow-shafted x Red-shafted intergrades.

A "pure" Yellow-shafted Flicker showed up just north of the wildlife
area headquarters at least two consecutive winters, 2011-2012 and
2012-2013.

Like the Yellow-breasted Sapsucker (which showed up for several
consecutive winters but has not been reported since early last January),
it seems likely that this was the same flicker returning to the same
favorite wintering patch. One wonders how many of the other, more
"generically" marked flickers and and woodpeckers are also returning to
winter in the same spots year after year.

Happy birding,
Joel

--
Joel Geier