[obol] Yellow-rumped Warbler carrying insects

  • From: David Bailey <davidcbaileyoregon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 21:42:29 -0700

West end of western-most boardwalk: Fort to Sea Trail, Lewis and Clark
National Park, Clatsop County
Habitat: mixed shore pine, Sitka spruce, and willows

Today I observed a female Audubon's Yellow-rumped Warbler caring a bill
full of multiple winged insects (they looked like mayflies, but may have
been craneflies or unknown). I observed her for several minutes hoping to
find out if she was feeding nestlings or carrying the prey for some other
purpose. After about five minutes I moved on; she still with a bill-full of
bugs. A male Audubon's was singing on territory and briefly interacted, or
so it seemed, with the female11

I checked _Birds of Oregon: a general reference_ and found that the species
has been observed carrying food as early as 16 May, while earliest
nest-building has been observed 11 May.

Do Yellow-rumped Warblers breed so early that they would be feeding chicks
now? If they were going to do so, the Clatsop County coast would be a
reasonable place. The habitat is right, and the the subspecies overwinters
in numbers throughout the coastal plain.

David

David C. Bailey
Seaside, Oregon