[obol] Baskett Slough, 14 May

  • From: Jay Withgott <withgott@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 21:37:13 -0700

What a difference a day makes. Today around mid-day, Roy Gerig and I checked
Baskett Slough NWR, hoping to find the Ruddy Turnstone, Avocet, and Stilts
reported by Brandon Wagner and Bill Tice yesterday, but none of these
shorebirds were anywhere to be found. In fact, despite the large expanses of
lovely habitat, we found very few shorebirds -- just a small handful of
Wilson's Phalaropes, Dowitchers, Killdeer, and Spotties.  However, there were
two BLACK TERNS (seen both from the Hwy 22 overlook and from Coville Rd) and a
flock of 11 BONAPARTE'S GULLS that didn't stay long and continued on.

The situation at Ankeny NWR was similar:  Neither Roy nor I had much luck with
shorebirds there.  However, an EARED GREBE was at Eagle Marsh, Roy had some
BLUE-WINGED TEAL, and AM. BITTERN, SORAS, and YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRDS were all
in evidence.

Jay W, Portland