[obol] Yaquina Bay goldeneyes have seen

  • From: whoffman@xxxxxxxx
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2015 16:39:08 -0800 (PST)

Hi -

The goldeneyes that frequent the area under the Yaquina Bay bridge and west
along the south jetty to the first finger (groin) have returned in the past few
weeks. Currently there are at least 12 different birds using this area,
although I have not seen more than 7 at one time.

I have seen 4 adult drakes: 1 Common, 1 Barrow's, and 1 obvious hybrid. I think
the Barrow's and hybrid are individuals that have wintered here the past few
years. The 4th male (which I have seen once) looked like a Common but with some
extra black on the wing - could be a hybrid (back-cross?) or just a Common that
has not finished molting out of eclipse plumage? The hybrid is not the bird I
reported Nov. 21 off the LNG tank... head color, back pattern, and shape of
face spot all are a bit different.

The remainder are brown-headed birds - females and HY males. This has been a
good place the past 2 years to watch individuals molt over the winter into
obvious male plumage. The first sign is generally white on the upper throat.

One bird the past 2 days has a dull yellow-orange bill - not as bright as that
of a typical female Barrow's, and has white beginning on the throat.

Also present yesterday was my first of the winter HY male Red-breasted
Merganser that was recognizable as a male.

Wayne