[obol] Re: Yamhill puzzle bird

  • From: "Paul Sullivan" <paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <celata@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 03:30:25 -0700

Mike,

You didn't name your bird, but it sounds like a junco.  The cadence is much
slower than our mystery bird, taking 14 seconds for a triplet.

Our bird did its triplet in 2 seconds and sounded more burry.
"Brzrzrzrzrzrzr, Brzrzrzrzrzrzr, Brzrzrzrzrzrzr" It sang several times per
minute.   I did get a glimpse of it, and it was sparrow size and sandy brown
below.  The puzzle is that it was high in a tree and in Oregon in late June.
Cornell (http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Clay-colored_Sparrow/id) does
note that eastern Clay-colored Sparrows may be found "in Christmas tree
farms."

Herlyn and Contreras in Handbook of Oregon Birds (p. 243) give spring dates
as mid-May to mid-June, and show no entries for Yamhill county.  However, we
do know of 3 sightings in Yamhill county, all near Dayton:

8-9 Mar 1996

Paul

===========================

Subject: Re: Yamhill puzzle bird
Date: Sun Jun 29 2014 23:02 pm
From: celata AT pacifier.com

Did it sound like this?

http://home.pacifier.com/~neaw...
<http://home.pacifier.com/~neawanna/observatory/orju20140626_test16.wav>

Mike Patterson

Astoria, OR

  _____

Subject: Yamhill puzzle bird
Date: Sun Jun 29 2014 22:51 pm
From: paultsullivan AT onlinenw.com

We were up Rock Creek Rd, north of Sheridan today, 0.25 mile past the end of

the paved road at a gate on the east side of the road.  We heard a sparrow

singing from large D. fir trees at the edge of a Christmas tree farm.  It

sang repeated, buzzy triplets: "Bzzzzzz, Bzzzzzz, Bzzzzzz."   It sounded

like a CLAY-COLORED SPARROW, but it was high in the tree.  I tried playing a

tape, but it did not come down to where we could really see it.  The song

did not match any song I've heard from a Chipping Sparrow.

Hmmmm?

Paul Sulllivan & Carol Karlen
McMinnville