[obol] Yamhill County finds

  • From: "Paul Sullivan" <paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <YamhillBirders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2014 21:25:54 -0700

Last evening, June 13, we went down to the end of Greenacres Rd, south of
Dayton, to find our annual fix of COMMON NIGHTHAWKS flying over the
Willamette River.  We found at least 8 birds.  We also found Great Blue
Heron, Osprey, and Spotted Sandpiper.  On our way home, we found a Great
Horned Owl on Airport Road, which runs beside the McMInnville airport.

Today, June 14, we tried some spots near Carlton for Vesper Sparrows,
without success.  However, we found several LAZULI BUNTINGS and WILLOW
FLYCATCHERS.

About noon we went down to the greenway on the south end of Grand Island, to
the white gate on Upper Grand Island Loop Road.     From there, we hiked in
about a quarter mile on the trail that goes down to the Willamette River
through a cottonwood foreat, until we found our annual fix of RED-EYED
VIREOS.  We heard a couple distant birds, then saw a pair closer to the
trail.  We had hiked past the first 9" log across the trail and a couple
grassy clearings.  We found the birds near an 8" log that lies across the
trail, up off the ground.

In recent days an ACORN WOODPECKER has begun to make daily visits to our
suet feeder.  Nice.

Good birding, everyone,

Paul Sulllivan & Carol Karlen

McMinnville