[obol] Western Screech-Owl and Steller's Jay Video

  • From: Rhett Wilkins <rhettwilkins@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 08:05:11 -0700

Hi All,

Not wishing to disclose a potential Western Screech-Owl nest site, I'd like
to share this video anyhow as a matter of interest in bird behavior.

I had been watching this owl for roughly 20 minutes, and despite making my
presence very well known through my footsteps, zippers, tripod, etc., the
bird never moved a muscle.  However, when a silent Steller's Jay arrived
and investigated both me and the owl, the owl reacted immediately.  How did
the owl know that I was no threat without even looking at me?  How did it
know that the jay had arrived?  How do these birds know every single thing?

The two birds interacted for all of about a minute, and neither of them
ever made a peep.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/boundtobird/8748978589/in/photostream

Good birding!

Rhett