[obol] Western Sandpipers Back on June 20; Pintail (Lincoln Co.)

  • From: Range Bayer <range.bayer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Lincoln Co. Birding & Nature Observing" <LCBNO@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2014 14:22:19 -0700

Hi,

"Fall" shorebird migration starts early with the first migrant Western
Sandpipers & Greater Yellowlegs often being found the last week of
June, if observers are looking.

This year it appears to have started before the first day of summer in
Lincoln Co.  Last night (June 20), I found 3 Western Sandpipers
feeding along kelp and eelgrass drift piles on the ocean beach just
north of the Yaquina Bay North Jetty before sunset.

Yesterday afternoon at about 4 PM, I also saw an
unseasonal-for-Lincoln-Co. male Northern Pintail with a white stripe
still extending up its neck and a female duck (presumably a female
pintail) flying together around Idaho Flats, east of the Hatfield
Marine Science Center.

Range Bayer, Newport, Oregon