[obol] West Eugene notes

  • From: Vjera Thompson <nemesisquail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 17:30:43 -0700

OBOLers,

I found a juvie BLACK PHOEBE today (6/29) at the EWEB wetlands at Beltline
and Roosevelt in Eugene.  I haven't seen any adults at this location this
year, so not sure if this bird was raised here or dispersed from a nearby
breeding location.  I had one Black Phoebe pretty consistently at the pond
at Barger and Beltline from January to March this year, but otherwise
haven't seen as many Black Phoebes around since the big snows.

Speaking of the big snow, I'm suspicious that it wiped out my local pair of
Wrentits.  I had a pair year-round from November 2011 to November 2013 at
the bike path by Barger and Beltline (by Shasta Middle School).  I haven't
seen or heard them once this year, despite visiting the area almost weekly.

I checked the EWEB wetlands today and there is still some water in the
southeast pond.  No shorebirds except for 4 SPOTTED SANDPIPERS.

Yesterday (6/28) I biked through Meadowlark Prairie.  There is still a
GRASSHOPPER SPARROW singing near the picnic shelters. There were also 1-2
WESTERN KINGBIRDS and a BULLOCK'S ORIOLE just south of the railroad
tracks.  I would guess that both breed in that area.

Good birding,
Vjera Thompson
Eugene, OR
nemesisquail@xxxxxxxxx