[obol] Mt. Hood NF Woodpeckers

  • From: Scott Carpenter <slcarpenter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 17:51:52 -0700

This weekend I came across a pair of AMERICAN THREE-TOED WOODPECKERS in Mt.
Hood National Forest in Hood River County. They were on FR 17 about 1.1
miles north of where 17 & 1720 split, which is a bit north of Hwy 44 that
connects Hwy 35 to Dufur. The woodpeckers were foraging on both sides of
the road, and I last saw them flying off to the west.

Less than a mile north of there on FR 17 were two interesting and gorgeous
sapsuckers that appeared to be RED-BREASTED X RED-NAPED. Unfortunately, I
was not able to get photos of either bird. One looked a lot like a regular
Red-breasted, but had significant amount of black behind the eye. The other
more closely resembled a Red-naped, but had red bordering the black breast
patch, and pinkish feathers on the breast, where yellow should have been.

There were many WILLIAMSON'S SAPSUCKERS in this general area of the forest,
too.

--
Scott Carpenter
Portland, Oregon