[obol] West Eugene birds

  • From: Vjera Thompson <nemesisquail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2015 20:35:23 -0700

OBOLers,

I biked through Meadowlark Prairie and along the Fern Ridge bike path today
(4/4), as I often do on Saturday. There was a fair amount of new migrants
compared to last weekend.

Lots of COMMON YELLOWTHROATS, ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLERS, and some Myrtle
YELLOW-RUMPS. I would guess the breeding SAVANNAH SPARROWS have just
returned, there were a lot more singing today than last week. Several
groups of swallows in the morning, but most had cleared out when I came
back in the afternoon. Had one CLIFF SWALLOW, my first this year.

Three different flocks of RED CROSSBILLS, first I've noted this year.

Good mixture of ducks and shorebirds at Meadowlark Prairie, including a
pair of BLUE-WINGED TEAL and 5 CINNAMON TEAL (seen when scanning near the
corner of Greenhill & Royal). I had one LESSER YELLOWLEGS with 6 GREATERS
in the morning. I went back out after dinner and there were only a few
lone Greaters Yellowlegs until sunset, when 26 came into the same pond, at
the same time as 8 GREAT EGRETS flushed out of the nearby marsh. There
were also DUNLIN and DOWITCHERS.

I checked for Short-eared Owl at sunset with no luck.

Happy migration & patch birding,
Vjera Thompson
nemesisquail@xxxxxxxxx or vireogirl@xxxxxxxxx
Eugene, OR