[obol] Re: Upland Sandpiper at Corvallis Airport

  • From: Christopher Hinkle <christopher.hinkle2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2014 19:30:13 -0500

I don't have any references at hand for more specific statistics, but I
believe late August is peak for vagrant Upland Sandpipers on the west
coast. At this time of year I'm always looking/listening for them at
promising spots like Broughton Beach. Adrian and I heard and saw one at the
deflation plain at Florence exactly two years ago today.

Now that they appear extirpated as breeders in Oregon, and given the
paucity of reports on the West Coast (only about 30 records for
California?), it might be a good candidate for OBRC review.

Cheers,

Chris