[obol] Update for the John Scharff Migratory Bird Festival 4/10-4/12

  • From: Tim Blount <harneybirder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2015 19:17:26 -0700

Hi All,

Just wanted to update those of you who will be joining us at the John
Scharff Migratory Bird Festival (http://www.migratorybirdfestival.com/) this
weekend. As Chuck Gates alluded too last Sunday, there are bazillions of
Ross's and Snow Geese in the area right now. White-faced Ibis are making an
appearance and good numbers of White-fronted Geese are hanging out near
water. If you like Sandhill Cranes we got 'em. Many Long-billed Curlew can
be seen along Hotchkiss Road with stilts and avocets using the flooded
portions of Hotchkiss and Greenhouse though numbers are sparse at this
point. Plenty of ducks are being seen such as Shoveler, Pintail, wigeon,
Cinnamon and Green-winged Teal, Bufflehead and two or three Coots. The
Foster Flats Sage Grouse lek is seeing around five birds and obviously
still hasn't recovered from the fire several years ago but they are still
at it. Birds of prey are easily viewable with numbers of eagles, various
hawks including a few Swainsons's Hawks which have shown up in the last two
days and Prairie Falcons using the fields near Crane. Burrowing Owls are
being seen along Hwy 78, Hwy 205 and Ruh Red Road. Every day it is likely
that a new migrant will arrive through this weekend so it is an exciting
time of year. I hear tell that the western part of the state is going to be
soggy so saddle up and come on over. On the off chance it rains here just
remember it is a dry kind of rain and our windshield wipers last for years:)

Cheers,

Tim Blount