[obol] Todays findings at the TVNWR

  • From: StevenMauvais <stevenmauvais@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 20:06:05 +0000 (UTC)

On our weekly survey of shorebirds/wading birds today at the TVNWR besides the
usual suspects we were lucky enough to spot 2 Red-necked Phalaropes as well as
the juvenile Wilson's Phalarope previously reported this season. We had the
good fortune to see all three at once in our spotting scope for several
minutes. We also spotted our first Northern Pintail and a Northern Shoveler of
the fall migration season. All of the above were seen in the one area that
still has some water. Further west down the canal road, just past the pond with
water, we got to see a juvenile Black-crowned Night Heron perched 10' up in a
small tree. It had very red eyes. We were able to get fairly close and thereby
all had great views. The RNPHs and the BCNH were "life" birds for several in
our group. A good day of viewing!

Steve